Friday 8 March 2013

FlickR and Common Creative- Free promotion? Maybe but with a hidden cost


I’m not new to it. I have been using it for years for my modelling portfolio.  It’s a great place to store pictures while maintaining their quality, and a great way to promote your work and meet like-minded people and come across possible business opportunities. I have never used it as a photographer though. Although in my eyes it’s an art to be admired but I completely lack those skills and am not at all good at it.
Some of the useful features I have come across are as below:
It’s free- unlike other similar photo-sharing websites which are either not free or their free accounts they offer are literally unusable. Flickr free accounts give you a generous allowance and many useful features.
Tagging system- It’s very useful and very easy to do and it gives you the opportunity to be promoted for free for those who are looking for the same tags.
Privacy settings- It gives you a lot of flexibility to be a private or as public as you like. And it could be worked with either individual photos or sets.
Organising feature- Creating sets is a wonderful way to organise your photos, and the easy “drag and drop” feature makes it a pain-free and enjoyable task.
Phone App- Excellent feature! Allows you to take your whole photo collection with you on your phone without using up the space on your phone. However there is a downside to it; Although it allows you to email and share on Facebook/Twitter, etc. you can’t directly save photos from it to your phone

Now here are the things to be aware of specially to do with Creative Commons and copyright issues:

Theft- It’s something I have come across many times in my career. I do work both of TFP/TFCD (time for print, time for cd) and paid basis. And I always sign a “ Model Release Form”, it’s the best way to protect both the model and the photographer. Photographer owns the rights to the photos but as a model you get to do what you agreed on the release form with it. The usual terms are if the pictures are used for commercial use both people (the model and the photographer) should have an agreed share of the profit; You are usually not allowed to make any changes to the pictures unless running it past the Photographer; And the obvious one of the pictures are not allowed to be used for any indecent purposes.
However saying all this I still had my pictures being sold by various photographers in large prints behind my back, and since I don’t have the money to take them to court for it, I just have to add them to my blacklist and not work with them again. And in some cases flag them up as dangerous cases on modelling and photography websites so other people won’t fall into the same trap.
The other thing that’s happened to me on various occasions was for people to steal my pictures, removing the watermarks with Photoshop and posting them as their own on websites such as Facebook. Now admittedly FlickR is very good in dealing with cases like this (however it does put you in a vulnerable position by offering a high quality versions of your pictures, making it very easy for people to steal them) but if you notice something on FlickR that you believe has been stolen from you or someone you know. They are very good at getting it removed.
Look at the two pictures below: friends of mine found thebottom picture to be used as someone’s profile picture on Facebook. As you can see from the original picture (the one at the top) not only they changed all the colours and background but they were cheeky enough to remove my name that was put at the top by the photographer and the photographer’s logo at the bottom of the page:













Bottom line is you can do as much as you can to protect yourself but when something of yours gets stolen, unless you have the money and the means to take the person to court, then you are pretty much helpless and by sharing things on internet you do put yourself in a vulnerable position. So it is free promotion but sometimes with a hidden cost.

Solution: In my opinion the best solution is to make your whole Photostream Private/Friends only and just send the links to those whom you trust. In the privacy section it’s got an option to stop your account even appearing in searches. Mine is usually set to private but for the purpose of Sot23 I have made it public for a little while.

I don’t think I’m going to take part in the competition with my portfolio though. Although I’m free to use the pictures I have up on my FlickR account but I’m not the photographer, and I think all the credits for a picture should go to the photographer. So I think it would be very unfair of me to take part in it using those.
I'm going to add a couple of the scenery I took with my IPhone
However here’s a link to my FlickR account for those who are interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/azadehbrown/

14 comments:

  1. Fascinating post, Azadeh - it's a really good read.

    One of my best friends is a photographer, and he puts images up on Flickr quite a bit... and he's had people use his images without permission.

    In some cases it was individuals, and via Facebook he was able to get them dealt with - but he also had at least one of his images (along with those of quite a number of other photographers) used by a company to promote a music event. It had to involve lawyers, and to be honest I don't know if it's even been resolved yet.

    On the internet there's still a long way to go to sort out concerns with privacy, intellectual property rights and digital rights management.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it Ric. It's interesting to know similar things have happened to people you know. It's such a shame that good services like this should be taken advantage of and used in a way that could be harmful. But I guess that's the way with everything. I always thought cases like that must be much worse for the photographers as they are the true right owners

      Delete
  2. Very interesting and well written post Azadeh, and some amazing photos in your Flickr stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicki, you are too kind. I'm glad you found it interesting

      Delete
  3. Great post,great insights Azadeh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I'm glad you found it useful

      Delete
  4. You look stunning in the photo, and I can see that someone
    wanted to be you. But what a nasty experience to find that your image has been stolen. Photo shop can be a devious tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbro, that's very sweet of you. I know what you mean about Photoshop just like anything else it could be used in such mean ways

      Delete
  5. Great post Azadeh - think it's really important to highlight these copyright issues. I really enjoyed looking through your portfolio as well - I had no idea you were such a prolific model!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind words Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ....great post and pictures indeed :-) well done my sister, Azadeh x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mina, you are always such a great support. Your encouraging words mean so much to me xx

      Delete
  8. Fascinating insight into the modelling world - amazing photos too - I would like to show my daughter if that's ok, she's a real genre fan, but I shall tell her no copying!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Christine, I'm flattered. Of course it would be my pleasure. I've been so lucky working with great photographers, I give all the credit to them.

    ReplyDelete