Tuesday 19 March 2013

GoogleDrive- Is my content safe?



A bit like Apple and its bad reputation with making their products as exclusive as possible with not much leverage for modifications, Google has managed to build itself a reputation for stealing people’s contents. Cloud storage technology is not new, the first time I noticed it  it was on the Microsoft version, Skydrive on the Hotmail account. Some photographer sent me some photos that due to their size they used  Skydrive . I didn’t like it very much back then, it wasn't very straightforward.
After that I was introduced to Dropbox, it was brilliant. My band used it to upload tracks and we could use them to practice or add our bits to the songs (Those of us who had recording equipment) and we could access them anywhere we went. It even had the handy mobile app. Also I had photographers sending me PDF files of contact sheets. Basically anything that was too big for mailbox, Dropbox was used as a replacement. However there is a  storage limit for it just like any other similar services but if you manage to get people to sign up to it your storage allowance would go up.
As an Iphone user I have been introduced to Icloud as well. And I must say I don't think it is as good as Dropbox. Just like any other Apple interface, nothing is where you expect it to be and it's a bit of a puzzle to work out where all the options are.
Anyway I’m having my doubts about Googledrive. Intellectual property is a very sensitive issue and although the user agreement is a standard one used for many Google products but a part of it is really worrying, making it easy for me to understand all those rumours about Google: 

“give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.”

Not very comforting, is it? It could be interpreted in many different ways; although it states that you definitely own your files but it reserves the right for itself to use your content for the  “purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones”
Saying that I think this could only apply to the contents that you make public, if you chose the private option then you're more or less safe. I gave it a go and just like anything else Google related it is very user friendly and straight forward and I would use it for things that I'm not too worried about them getting stolen, but I think for more important stuff I will stick to Dropbox,




2 comments:

  1. Interesting points! I thought of that too. Is it really safe? I need to find out...
    By the way, The added comments on your post in not easy to see...you might need to change the colour of font...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mina thanks for pointing that out. I had no idea why it was doing that. I guess because I copied and pasted the agreement terms from Google it was changing the colour

      Delete