Monday 25 March 2013

Mendeley- Have been trying to avoid this one but it has finally caught up with me

Well since it's been nearly ten years since I finished my studies (trying not reveal my real age ;) ) I thought Mendeley has not much to offer for me that's why I delayed it up until now but I guess I have to look into it now we are reaching the end. When you are doing a lot of research managing the literature could become an essential but tiring task. In my days I just made a word document and saved all of my references in there but I guess these days with things such as Mendeley this tedious task is becoming much more easier. It's like a library manager for all of your papers, it helps you organise your pdfs. It also has the aspect of social networking with which you would be able to communicate with people who do a similar research to yours. You can also create groups. Same as any similar websites you get the free version and the paid versions, with the paid version you get more storage space and a few more facilities, in my opinion not enough to tempt me to go for the paid version.
I found "Import to Mendeley" bookmark to be incredibly useful. Most services are going towards the "one click" option and I thought this bookmark is what makes Mendeley stand out among similar rivals. But if you are not a big fan of that the you always have a choice of doing through "My Library" tab. You can also download the desktop add which I think would prove very useful if you have a massive library of pdfs. Another useful feature is the ability to import references from Endnote.
So to sum it all up a very useful feature for researchers, and as a library assistant exploring it helped me understand it a bit better so in future if I get asked questions in regards to it then at least I know what our users are talking about.

1 comment:

  1. SNAP! I've been avoiding this one too:)

    ReplyDelete